Sunday, April 15, 2007

God has guided me to my new church

Right after I decided to move to Basel, some church members (including myself) in the Tokyo Union Church worried that there might not be many English-speaking international churches in Basel since it's such a small town. They were really trying to help me gather information about Basel, some even recalled that there's a Korean lady named Kim who used to be a member of the TUC and later moved to Switzerland. They were not sure which city she moved to and since she moved two and half years ago they were not sure whether she's still in Switzerland or not, they said "maybe you should contact her" but none of them has her contact. I thought: well, this doesn't help really but thanks, at least I'm touched by your kind gesture of caring about me..

So I searched the web and found a couple of small English speaking churches in Basel. One is called "crossroad" and it looks ok. I had planned to visit this one for my first Sunday here then I found another one called "Basel Christian Fellowship", which is located near the city center and I thought this one might be better since I could then take my friend Hattie with me. Hattie is Chinese and she's not a Christian. But she said she's interested to go and we went together this morning, thanks to Hattie's help in reading all the road signs and map written in German.

The congregation is small but quite cozy and friendly. Like what we do in TUC I stood up and introduced myself. The service and the selection of the Hymns were very good as well and I felt very comfortable there. I asked myself: Could this be the church that God has called me to go in Basel, after coming all the way from the far east? (To most European people, Japan, China, etc are simply "far east" that they know nothing about) And I immediately answered myself: of course God will make it clear and guide me to the right church, since church would be the most important aspect of my life!

After the service the lady sitting just behind me came up to me and told me that she used to go to the TUC as well. She looks Asian and her name is Korean, so I asked her a funny question: "are you Kim?"

And she said: Yes! I am Kim! How do you know me?

So everything that followed became very easy and I had no problem in getting to know people around. They have several fellowship groups in the church and I'm going to a Women's bible study tomorrow with Kim. They have a fellowship for young adult every tuesday, unfortunately they meet in Germany right now and I'm still waiting to get my schengen visa. I also met a couple from Hong Kong and they invited me to their chinese bible study group every friday. Things are looking good since I haven't wasted any time to get fully involved in church life again! I haven't missed even one single sunday service..

I'm now convinced it is God's will for me to come here and God has prepared my way even before I came. It is beyond my imagination what exactly God's plan is for me in Basel, but I keep my fingers crossed and look forward to each new day to come.

Here is the website of my new church if you are interested in taking a look:


www.baselfellowship.org/

5 comments:

Mathew Idikula said...

Praise God!

Hisashi said...

Great! What a wonderful story!
And you met our Korean friend from TUC! I think I know her.

And the church where you met her is exactly the same church that I told you about...a member church of the Network of International Congregations (http://www.internationalcongregations.net/) of which TUC is also a member.

Lily said...

It 's great!
God loves you all the time.

bububu said...

Wow you update here pretty often--happy to see you got new friends.

And you didn't take any pictures of the diamonds?

Junko said...

Hi, Mindy,

It seems everything is going well and i'm really glad about it. I know Kim-san (quite well). Please say hello to her!

Much love,